Linda Stirling Unmasked: The Black Whip




AGORA
: Dragged from her chariot by a mob of fanatical vigilante Christian monks, the revered astronomer was stripped naked, skinned to her bones with sharp oyster shells, stoned and burned alive as possibly the first executed witch in history. A kind of purge that was apparently big business back then.


CRITICAL WOMEN HEADLINES

5/6/08

Viva Filmmaker Anna Biller Critiques Critical Women Review

Dear Linda,

Your blog about my film VIVA was really strange and illogical. You are right that I have a fascination with glamour images of women, but that does not come from an obsession with Barbie dolls, but with classic cinema and photography. On the one hand you complain that I idolize Barbie dolls for their figures, and on the other hand you complain that I include body types you don't want to see (meaning, regular people who don't look like Barbie dolls). Which is it, sister?

And who are you to call me a "fat Barbie doll?" Do you have a problem with women who are above a size six? (I wore a size eight in the movie). Have you considered the visual and ethnic differences between myself and a Barbie doll? Do you think I'm like a doll because I'm wearing period makeup and clothing? Do you object to self-adornment, or is it just that you don't like clothing and makeup from that period? Does your dislike of this type of look constitute a critical film review?

I thought women's communities were supposed to support other women. Your "review" of my film is not a review, it's a mirror reflecting your own narcissistic likes and dislikes. This is the type of uncritical and emotional writing that gives women a bad name.

Respectfully yours,
-Anna Biller

No comments:

Post a Comment