Linda Stirling Unmasked: The Black Whip




AGORA
: Dragged from her chariot by a mob of fanatical vigilante Christian monks, the revered astronomer was stripped naked, skinned to her bones with sharp oyster shells, stoned and burned alive as possibly the first executed witch in history. A kind of purge that was apparently big business back then.


CRITICAL WOMEN HEADLINES

2/6/09

READER MAILBAG: Blissing Out On Movies


THE OBJECTIVE: BLAIR WITCH IN BURKAS WITH ZONED OUT EXTRATERRESTRIAL AFGHANS

You totally missed it:

The struggle of the band of searchers in The Objective reminded me of many of the epic journeys . . . Gilgamesh . . . Hector . . . men trying to cope with what their culture, or their family, or their mission instructed . . . only to have to yield what they know to an incomprehensible power . . . a force far, far beyond the human . . . or die. Forget all that you understand about war, politics, or weaponry and concentrate on the individual struggle to make sense out of something that makes no sense within the paradigms of meaning, which we commonly understand. This film demands the suspension of disbelief. And when you, the viewer, realize this task, you're in for the ride of your life.

4 thumbs loved it!

Z. Gruber

CLICK TO READ REVIEW HERE



FIREPROOF: CRITIC IN READERS' PRAYERS

It seems to me that you really need to keep your judgments to yourself. It’s very clear that building a relationship with the Lord would help you to truly understand the content of the movie and hence more understanding of what really happens when you are able to trust in the Lord.

I will keep you in prayer

M. Herrerra


So, you found something that leaves a positive message in most viewers' minds, but to boost your own self-importance, you chose to tear the film down? I'm no Bible thumper, however it's just wrong to profane such an effort, simply because you seem to have no tolerance. I'll pray for you.
"Prairie..." Isn't that where nothing of importance flourishes? 'Sounds so empty...

Gary D.


FIREPROOF: MOVIE SAVES MARRIAGE


This is a truly inspiration movie!! I would love to know what the steps were for the 40 days!!! J I think it could drastically help my marriage!!! Can you let us know what all of the steps were????

Jennifer S.

FILMMAKERS SHOULD NOT BE FIRED PROOF

The script writers put together a very stilted dialogue. Fire them and get someone who can tell a story properly. The actors seemed capable but they were hampered by words poorly chosen to convey the message intended.

Donald E.

YOUR ASININE REVIEW OF FIREPROOF


Ms. Miller,

In short, you're an idiot.

Sherwood Pictures, much to your dislike, could not care less about making movies that pleasing to you and Hollywood. Their movies are powerful messages that go straight to the heart (IF YOU'RE WILLING TO LISTEN THAT IS....) Making films that change people's lives and are pleasing to God is really all they care about... Sorry you apparently aren't insightful enough to figure that out.

B. Young
Belmond, Iowa

CLICK TO READ REVIEW HERE


THE TORTURER: a.k.a FORCE DRIFT


I agree with Linda Z's overall assessment of the movie but, in my view, this is too important a subject to be limited to plays. We MUST find ways to get people to watch this important film, as it makes clear the true consequences of torture for our whole society and way of life.

It shows us that torture is a cancer, likely to metastatize and spread throughout our nation.

Just because we currently have an administration opposed to torture does not mean this will always be true. Until we raise public awareness of this issue, it will always will have the risk of returning.

Have you considered contacting your local art theater about showing it? Do so!

Joanna

PS--I thought this was possibly the finest performance in Nichelle Nichols' whole career!

CLICK TO READ REVIEW HERE


Joanna:
I agree with your emphasis on the importance of this film, the Torturer and I have already made some inquiries into having it offered as a premium on WBAI radio in the near future. But, I think I need to clarify what I mean when I say it is basically a play.
As a film it does reach many more people than a play would but there is a structural issue that I am addressing. When the film is stagnant in its setting as Doubt is, for instance, then it is to my way of thinking better done as a play. It would be more intense, more dramatic. That doesn't mean it can't be both a play and a film but in saying one predominates I am describing the setting, narrowing the experience to be expected.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain myself more precisely

Linda Z


THE READER: GUILT BY EROTIC ASSOCATION

I have seen the movie and studied the story. I am really spell bounded. The internal meaning of the story is immense. The reader is remarkably brilliant in terms of acting casting, directing, etc. I thanks to God that i still alive in this 20th century to see such type of good movie. Thanks Kate and Stephen Daldry as well as those are related to this movie.

Dipankar S.
India

CLICK TO READ REVIEW HERE


SEVEN POUNDS: READER WEIGHS DRASTIC REVENGE FOR REVIEW


Hello.
I am writing to tell you that I'm disappointed with your review of Seven Pounds. It is one of the single greatest tragedies I've ever seen. Will Smith is brilliant in his role as Ben Thomas and that I believe that his is definetly one of his best films. This film would make the most cold-hearted of people cry like a baby as the film portrays true human empathy as well as making the audience feel empathetic themselves. Whoever wrote your review, in my opinion, is quite cold-hearted if they can say those things about an amazing film that could mean a lot to many people in many different ways. I won't be reading anymore film reviews done by your company again as I believe you're extremely inaccurate and don't know the meaning of an excellent film!
Chloe B.
UK

Hello Chloe:
Sorry to hear you were disappointed in this review of Fireproof, which by the way got a 63% negative rating by critics overall in this country. But just as sorry that you're only interested in reviews that share the same opinion - yours. What a sad world that would be, if we were all in robotic lockstep.
Prairie

CLICK TO READ REVIEW HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment